How to be creative, Gwen Stefani style
According to the above Gwen Stefani ad for HP, these are the steps involved in creativity:
1. Like Kingston. Absorb its culture and bastardize it for an American audience, thereby becoming a celebrity.
2. Go to a hotel in a foreign country. Japan, let it be noted, is taken, so don’t even think about trying to be inspired there. Look out the window at the glittering skyline. The less insight you have into the lives being lived in the city you’re in, the more likely you are to be inspired.
3. Walk through a middle class neighborhood. Creativity can’t be turned on and off like a faucet, despite what some might think, so just be open to everything you see.
4. Take what you’ve seen in the foreign country home. The less your countrymen know about the country you were in, the better.
5. Present what you’ve seen in the foreign country as a product of your own creative mind.
6. Sit back and wait for the call about an HP ad deal to come in.